Thursday, March 31, 2011

2nd Entry for the Lil Blue Boo/Dharma Trading Co. Challenge

Circus Seal...

I have had an idea of what I have wanted to do with my 2nd entry for the challenge since January. Of course I have procrastinated until TODAY (the last day to enter the challenge) to finish my project. But it all worked out. Carson hung out in my room with me while I sewed and Clara napped. I finished just as Clara was waking up, tried the outfit on her and took pictures right before the monsoon came. 

I chose to do a circus themed outfit. The idea popped into my head this past January when the circus was in town. Who doesn't love the circus?!  Everything about the circus is exciting...animals, performers, costumes and music, not to mention the delicious cotton candy and popcorn. 

A few days later I was browsing all of the yummy fabrics and saw this colorful summer time fabric by Barbara Jones. It was perfect. I love the mix of dark and light colored polka-dots. I imagined the circus animals and performers...jugglers, elephants, lions, seals, etc. I thought it would be neat to turn the dots into balls for the performers/animals. After browsing some pictures I decided to use the seal and have him balance a "ball" on his nose. This elephant is super cute too!


I used the freezer paper stencil method for my seal applique. I thought I took pictures, but I can't find them...sorry. I will have to do it again, maybe one for Carson this time.

There are several tutorials online for using freezer paper for stenciling. Ashley has a great one here.
In a nutshell...I traced my seal onto the freezer paper and used an exacto knife to cute it out. Then I ironed it onto the fabric and painted (using fabric paint). I let it dry and lifted up the paper. Then I hand painted around the "ball" and the star in the middle of the "ball"

I took the painted, scrap fabric and made it an applique. Then embellished it with a ruffle (from the coordinating fabric on the bubble skirt-Pouty Princes) and black ric rac.  It was an easy way to spice up an outfit. And I have to say that I LOVE this bubble skirt. I will definitely be making more!

Clara was a great model today. As anyone who has a toddler knows, taking pictures can be quite the ordeal!  But today...
She sat...

 and smiled...

 twirled around a bit...
 and showed off her teeth.
Thanks for being such a good girl! I love you!

Can't wait to see the rest of the entries. There have been so many fabulous ones so far. I love looking at everyone's projects and reading the thoughts behind them. Each one is so unique. You should head over to Lil Blue Boo and check them out! Thanks for stopping by!
~Sarah

9 comments:

Archiex said...

Wow, she looks adorable and cute.. Love her dress.. I want this one for my little princess.. :):)

More hugs and kisses to her..
Archiex @ Fashion for women

Kathy said...

Just too precious! Makes me miss the days when my children were little! Very creative and cute outfits! Thanks for stopping by and visiting that I may repay the call
Kathy

busymommy3 said...

Absolutely adorable!! The outfit is too cute! You have a wonderful gift!

Visit me @ http://punkymonkeychronicles.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Lynn

Unknown said...

This is so cute! I love the fabrics you chose.

Unknown said...

çok güzel gerçekten

kadın giyim,uzun elbise,uzun abiye,bayan kıyafet, uzun tunik,elbise,

bayan ceket,takı aksesuar,kolye,otantik kolye,uzun etek,sexi iç giyim,sexi çamaşır,

yüzük,fantezi iç çamaşır,takı,gümüş küpe,uzun tunik,fantezi kıyafetler, bayan gömlek,mini etek,

bayan ceket,takı aksesuar,kolye,otantik kolye,etek,uzun tunik,uzun triko,yüzük,fantezi iç giyim,

ActiveCool Fashion said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ActiveCool Fashion said...

Clothing manufacturers Singapore

ActiveCool Fashion said...

Clothing manufacturers Singapore

thajudheevvt said...


I like your website, my thanks for doing such great informationWayanad Empire

Related Posts with Thumbnails