Monday, March 29, 2010

Rufflelier: A Tutorial




The Rufflelier is perfect for a little girl's room, playroom or for an outside tea party! It is so easy, inexpensive and quick to make. I think it took me 15 minutes to put together.

Supplies: poster board, coordinating fabrics (you will need a total of 8 x 60 inches of fabric for all 4 pieces), hot glue gun, thread, 4 pearl strands 23-25 inches in length (I used some necklaces that had broken) sewing machine, stapler, pencil

Cut two pieces of poster board that will total 8 x 42 inches (two pieces 8 x 21 inches). I allowed for a one inch overlap on each side. Staple the two pieces together. You will have a circle that is the "skeleton" for your rufflelier.

Cut strips of fabric totaling 2 x 60 inches. I was using a fat quarter so I cut 3 strips. Repeat 3 times with the same fabric or coordinating fabric. If you want a tighter ruffle make your strips longer (2 x 80).

Sew rights sides together so you now have one long strip 2 x 60 inches in length. Repeat for the other strips. I left my strips "raw" on the edges, but you could serge them or hem them. If you want to hem them you would want to allow for a wider strip. instead of 2 inches you might do 2 1/2 inches.

Now sew a gathering stitch down the middle of the stip. Your machine should ruffle it a little.
Repeat for the other strips. Pull the ruffle until it's gathered to your liking. Not too much or it will be too short:)

You are ready to glue on your ruffles. I laid them out like I wanted time before I glued them onto the poster board.
Glue, glue, glue and glue

Now for the pearls...Mark with your pencil 4 dots 10 inches apart and about 1/2 inch from the top. The ruffle will cover the hole. You can use a hole punch if it's not too large. I couldn't find my hole punch so I just used my scissors and twisted them back and forth until I had the hole size that I wanted. Then I stuck one pearl from the strand into the hole and reinforced it using the hot glue gun. I connected the pearls by interlocking them with one another. I like how I had a little extra at the end to hang over.

Lastly I attached a string to the pearls to hang from the tree.

Hang it and LOVE it!

Those you love will love it too! It was a great addition to our tRuffles and tEa party.

If you have any questions please email me. I would love to see your versions!
sarahmlboyd (at) yahoo (dot) com


14 comments:

Ashley said...

I love this!!

the mama monster said...

this is so cute! i have three boys so it might not fly with them though.

Infarrantly Creative said...

Came over with OPT...that is just about the cutest thing I have seen today. LOVES!

Amy said...

Came over from One Pretty Thing as well.
This is just SO CUTE!! I think this would make the perfect addition inside my girls' playhouse. Thanks so much for sharing it.

tara said...

Wow, poster board. I never would have thought of that. Awesome idea.

2 Giggle Boxes said...

Thanks everyone! And thanks for stopping by. Yes, poster board! I was looking for something inexpensive and something I had on hand:)

Jade said...

I saw your entry at Disney's. This is SO cute! I am stealing it for my daughter's room. I think I might buy one of the sheets from Home Depot that cover the big panels of fluorescent lights for offices so that I can put an actual light in it and it can shine through. Such a fantastic idea!

2 Giggle Boxes said...

Great idea Jade! If you do it I want to see it!

The Photographer said...

This is a GREAT project... found you from Skip to My Lou..Thanks for posting!

Leslie said...

I am loving this cute make over! I absolutely adore how cute it turned out. Thanks so much for linking it to Hoo's got talent!

Anne said...

Your Rufflelier is FABULOUS!!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-make-a-rufflelier-ruffled-chandelier/2010/06/12/

--Anne

Lisa said...

Wow! Just Wow! This is such a fun tutorial! I can see many of these in my future!

Kathi said...

How adorable this project is. It is on my list of wanna's!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Super cute! And easy. I love easy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails