Monday, March 29, 2010

Rufflelier: A Tutorial




The Rufflelier is perfect for a little girl's room, playroom or for an outside tea party! It is so easy, inexpensive and quick to make. I think it took me 15 minutes to put together.

Supplies: poster board, coordinating fabrics (you will need a total of 8 x 60 inches of fabric for all 4 pieces), hot glue gun, thread, 4 pearl strands 23-25 inches in length (I used some necklaces that had broken) sewing machine, stapler, pencil

Cut two pieces of poster board that will total 8 x 42 inches (two pieces 8 x 21 inches). I allowed for a one inch overlap on each side. Staple the two pieces together. You will have a circle that is the "skeleton" for your rufflelier.

Cut strips of fabric totaling 2 x 60 inches. I was using a fat quarter so I cut 3 strips. Repeat 3 times with the same fabric or coordinating fabric. If you want a tighter ruffle make your strips longer (2 x 80).

Sew rights sides together so you now have one long strip 2 x 60 inches in length. Repeat for the other strips. I left my strips "raw" on the edges, but you could serge them or hem them. If you want to hem them you would want to allow for a wider strip. instead of 2 inches you might do 2 1/2 inches.

Now sew a gathering stitch down the middle of the stip. Your machine should ruffle it a little.
Repeat for the other strips. Pull the ruffle until it's gathered to your liking. Not too much or it will be too short:)

You are ready to glue on your ruffles. I laid them out like I wanted time before I glued them onto the poster board.
Glue, glue, glue and glue

Now for the pearls...Mark with your pencil 4 dots 10 inches apart and about 1/2 inch from the top. The ruffle will cover the hole. You can use a hole punch if it's not too large. I couldn't find my hole punch so I just used my scissors and twisted them back and forth until I had the hole size that I wanted. Then I stuck one pearl from the strand into the hole and reinforced it using the hot glue gun. I connected the pearls by interlocking them with one another. I like how I had a little extra at the end to hang over.

Lastly I attached a string to the pearls to hang from the tree.

Hang it and LOVE it!

Those you love will love it too! It was a great addition to our tRuffles and tEa party.

If you have any questions please email me. I would love to see your versions!
sarahmlboyd (at) yahoo (dot) com


14 comments:

Ashley O said...

I love this!!

the mama monster said...

this is so cute! i have three boys so it might not fly with them though.

Infarrantly Creative said...

Came over with OPT...that is just about the cutest thing I have seen today. LOVES!

Amy said...

Came over from One Pretty Thing as well.
This is just SO CUTE!! I think this would make the perfect addition inside my girls' playhouse. Thanks so much for sharing it.

tara said...

Wow, poster board. I never would have thought of that. Awesome idea.

2 Giggle Boxes said...

Thanks everyone! And thanks for stopping by. Yes, poster board! I was looking for something inexpensive and something I had on hand:)

Jade said...

I saw your entry at Disney's. This is SO cute! I am stealing it for my daughter's room. I think I might buy one of the sheets from Home Depot that cover the big panels of fluorescent lights for offices so that I can put an actual light in it and it can shine through. Such a fantastic idea!

2 Giggle Boxes said...

Great idea Jade! If you do it I want to see it!

The Mommy Teacher said...

This is a GREAT project... found you from Skip to My Lou..Thanks for posting!

Leslie said...

I am loving this cute make over! I absolutely adore how cute it turned out. Thanks so much for linking it to Hoo's got talent!

casserole said...

Your Rufflelier is FABULOUS!!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-make-a-rufflelier-ruffled-chandelier/2010/06/12/

--Anne

Lisa said...

Wow! Just Wow! This is such a fun tutorial! I can see many of these in my future!

Irish Kathi said...

How adorable this project is. It is on my list of wanna's!

Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Super cute! And easy. I love easy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails