Friday, June 11, 2010

Towels for Summer



I am in still in summer vacation mode. Trying to get ready for our trip next week to a very warm and sunny island! It will be much like the climate here in FL, but it will certainly be nice to get away for a little R and R. While on vacation I thought we would take along some towels with our new friend "Lisha"(Leesha)...

Isn't she cute!? I named her "Lisha" because it means "full of mystery." She hides her face with her gigantic sun hat. She was inspired by this quilt...

It was my husband's quilt as a baby and I just love it! I love it's bright colors and the simplicity of it. One day soon I will make a big beach quilt similar to it with "Lisha" on it. For now I just put her on three different types of towels...


I know what an ordeal it is to go anywhere with two little ones. So I thought it I would make it a little easier for Carson to carry her own towel and lighten my load a little. She can throw her tote over her shoulder and carry her towel by the ribbon. This way it won't drag on the ground. It will also keep her from tripping over it. It was very simple...
Just cut a ribbon 40inches. Or longer depending on how long you want the bow.
Pin it in the center, bottom of the towel.
Test it (to make sure it will tie the way you want. One side will be longer than the other because it has to go a further distance to meet the other side)
And sew in place using a box. You can also sew an "x" inside the box for reinforcement.
Lastly, singe the ends of the ribbon with a lighter. This will prevent fraying.
That's it!


Fold one end to the center...

Then the other and roll tightly towards the ribbon.

Spread it out, relax and take it all in!

I embellished this towel with "Lisha" and a "C" in Amy Butler's Lotus Brown Lacework fabric. I used a little lace trim on her shorts.

Then there is the...

"Lisha" is wearing a one piece bathing suit here. I still added lace trim to her one piece suit and of course her large sun hat.


I used California Dreaming fabric in Pink by Jenean Morrison. I love the bright colors and it's pattern easily lends itself to being turned into one of "Lisha's" large sun hats.
You can find my tutorial HERE for the hooded towel.



I had some towel scraps leftover and was wondering what I was going them for...then I saw this post. It was the perfect size for a toddler cover-up. I made it a wrap around cover up placing velcro in two different places on the cover-up. The halter straps also have velcro on them.

We also took some time out to get a couple shots for Father's Day!


I think they'll make a good gift for daddy's desk!

Thanks for visiting! I hope you like the "Lisha" towels! I know she will make another appearance...just don't know where...tote, dress, skirt...any suggestions?

Linking up with...


The Girl Creative
Making
The DIY Show Off
Keeping It Simple

Entered in...

5 comments:

Melissa @Lilac Lane said...

Genius. Truly. I love it! Thank you so much for entering the contest. And I am so jealous that you are close to a beach. What a dream!

Debbie said...

What a great idea! The towel is just too cute! Your pics of your little ones are precious!!!
Have a great time at the beach.
Debbie@houseatthelake

Diane said...

OMGosh, I love your Lisha towel. What a cute name.

I found you via Met Monday. Hope you can stop by and visit me sometimes over at Pittpat Paperie.

sportzmom said...

These are adorable. I love the cover up!

AlMcLeary said...

I am loving Lisha - too cute

Related Posts with Thumbnails